escalator

Mon Jan 9 22:06:52 UTC 2012

Here is a citation for an  "escalator for shopping carts" in 1970.

Cite: 1970 May 13, Beaver County Times, An American Housewife In
Israel By Judith Kraiem, Advertising section, Page 10, [GNA Page 52],
Beaver County, Pennsylvania. (Google News Archive)

Most of my shopping is done in the large modern supermarket not far
from my apartment. This supermarket features double floors and an
escalator for shopping carts, something not to be found as yet in New
York.