Japchae

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 11 03:15:42 UTC 2012

[Sitting in my mailbox for nearly 36 hours]

JapChe Guevara?

Chapchae seems to be predominant retail and menu spelling here. And by
"here" I mean Boston, NYC and DC. I've seen a few initial j's, however,
but not a lot of vowel alterations. There may be external reasons for
this, however, as a number of Boston Korean restaurants had been started
by "graduates" of two restaurants in Cambridge--I've talked to several
who had been waiters, kitchen staff or even cleaning staff there. But
this is changing, as the number of Korean restaurant in the area expands
(my "survey" was done between 1999 and 2005 and there have been several
new ones opened more recently).

     VS-)