Coffeehouse?!

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jan 11 03:40:44 UTC 2012

There's also the verb "to coffeehouse" (and the gerund "coffeehousing") used in poker to refer to the practice of chatting during play, typically with the intention of misrepresenting the strength of one's hand.  Not in the OED, but it may be a spinoff of a compound verb that is, with fox-hunting related cites going back to 1861:

coffee-house, v.

To indulge in gossip (orig. while waiting for the hounds to draw a covert, etc., during a fox-hunt)

LH