Japchae

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Wed Jan 11 07:27:29 UTC 2012

--

I think the new Romanization may very well change the prevalence of
[spelling] pronunciations in the US. [I've noticed the analogous trend

I'm not sure I've ever myself seen a spelling with "j" on a menu, or
heard a pronunciation with an obviously voiced initial consonant, but I
might not have noticed.

I think the most frequent spelling in my limited experience is
"chapchae", which would be  a simplified McCune-Reischauer spelling I guess.

Note however that my experience with chapchae is heavily weighted toward
the Midwest (esp. Chicago area), 1971-1989. Now that I've thought of it,
it's high time to go out for some Pittsburgh japchae/chapch'ae/whatever;
I'll see what the menu says.

Any analogous tendency for "kimchi"/"kimchee" to acquire a voiced
initial ("gimchi") so far?

-- Doug Wilson