Shit * say to * (snowclone)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 13 03:25:31 UTC 2012

Thank you, Larry, but I'm afraid that it's still over my head.

"I love me some some Miss Jankins."

I get this as a kind of wordplay:

"I love Miss Jankins"

is crossed with

"I love me some barbecue"

yielding

"I love me some Miss Jankins"

merely for effect.

IMO,

"mother of all [whatever]"

is semantically non-distinct from

"[whatever]'s mama"

 OTOH, is

"Shit * say to *"

exemplified by

"Shit (that) doods say to chicks"

?

Whether the answer be yea or nay, I still need Snowclones for Dummies.

So, after a quick read in the electronic equivalent thereof, the
relevant article in W:pedia - should have thought of doing that to
begin with - I understand that _shit * say to *_ is, indeed, a
snowclone.

Furthermore, _W:pedia_ is a kind of snowclone. A Swedish friend
customarily abbreviated my name as _W:son_' When I asked about this, I
was told that, in Sweden, names ending in _son_ or _dotter_ are - or
were, fifty years ago - routinely abbreviated in this fashion, since
everybody understands that A:son, J:son, L:son, et sim. represent
"Arneson, Johannson, "Larsson," et sim.

Hence, _W:pedia_, under my assumption that anyone will immediately
grasp that this is "Wikipedia" and nothing else, even without
knowledge of the Swedish model.
--

-Wilson
-----