"re-meander", "remeandering". Also, "daylighting"

Ken Hirsch kenhirsch at FTML.NET
Fri Jan 13 23:25:35 UTC 2012

I heard this on the radio: "The next step is sculpting the river bank back
to its original shape. They call it 're-meandering the creek'."

It seems to be an up-and-coming word, with the -ing form the most common.

Some links:

   - Remeandering straightened
rivers<http://evidence.environment-agency.gov.uk/FCERM/en/SC060065/MeasuresList/M5/M5T2.aspx>
   - Remeander water
courses<http://forecaster.deltares.nl/index.php?title=Remeander_water_courses>
   - genslyngning af Stavis
Å<http://www.proz.com/kudoz/danish_to_english/environment_ecology/4511618-genslyngning_af_stavis_%C3%85.html>
   - Google web search for
meandering<https://www.google.com/search?q=%22remeandering%22+OR+%22re-meandering%22>
   - Google book search for
remeandering<https://www.google.com/search?tbs=bks:1&tbo=1&q=%22remeandering%22+OR+%22re-meandering%22>

I note that the oldest uses of "remeandering" on GBS are about surveying a
river, not changing its course. The OED has a related usage under
"meandered".

A few of the uses are passive ones, something that just happens to a river.
Most of the new uses are transitive, something that is actively done to a
river.

Searching on "remeanding" also led me to "daylighting"

   - Stream Corridor Improvements – Remeandering and Daylighting Streams,
   Habitat Restoration, and Fish Friendly
Culverts<http://lid.okstate.edu/training-sessions/copy4_of_webinar-ordinances-for-protecting-water-quality-2013-natural-lawns-rain-gardens-downspout-disconnection>
   - Creek Daylighting
FAQ<http://www.sf-planning.org/ftp/files/Citywide/Glen_Park/PUC_Daylighting_FAQ_and_Case_Studies.pdf>
(pdf)
   "Creek daylighting refers to projects that uncover and restore creeks,
   streams, and rivers previously buried in underground pipes and culverts,
   covered by decks, or otherwise removed from view"

Ken Hirsch