Antedating of "Bagel"

Mon Jan 16 06:59:45 UTC 2012

Here is a 1902 citation for "Beigel" with a footnote in an article
about "Jewish London", but the word is not yet treated as an English
word. Yet this cite might be interesting because it helps to document
the transition of the word into the English language.

Cite: 1902, Living London edited by George R. Sims, Volume 2,  Jewish
London by S. Gelberg, Page 30, Column 2, Cassell and Company, Limited,
London. (Google Books full view)
http://books.google.com/books?id=-NY-AAAAYAAJ&q=beigel#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
>From break of day till the going-down of the sun rings the song of the
coster through its grimy streets. "Weiber, Weiber! Heimische Beigel!*
sing out the women, with handkerchief drawn tightly over head.

* "Ladies, ladies! rolls for sale just like those in our native land."
[End excerpt]

Garson