Query: "Jazbo on upper lip" (1915)

Eric Nielsen ericbarnak at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 18 11:24:49 UTC 2012

Same thing. Looks like "soul patch" may be earlier. I always thought it was
merely body decoration, but this source suggests a practical side to it: a
facial cushion for trumpeters.

"The soul patch was popularized by
jazz<http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-jazz.htm>musicians, beatniks and
other artistic or rebellious men in the 1950s and
60s, thus its name. Jazz musician Dizzy Gillespie had a soul patch, leading
the style to also be called a “jazz dab” or “jazz spot.” The style was
popular with trumpeters in particular as the hair provided a cushion
between sensitive skin and the trumpet’s mouthpiece."

 http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-soul-patch.htm

Eric