Quote: The pleasure is momentary, the position ridiculous, and the expense damnable

Wed Jan 18 17:50:21 UTC 2012

I received a reply from Nigel Rees about the confusing citation with
an apparent 1901 date. He said that 1901 was a misdating. So,
currently the earliest known possible allusion to the quotation
appeared in the 1910 letter from Hilaire Belloc. Nigel indicated that
he had previously identified this reference in Belloc's letter. Great
work!

Thanks to Victor Steinbok for a response off-list. It does seem
possible that "The Scotsman" could be a reference to the newspaper or
a reference to an archetypal Scotsman. Similarly, "The Aberdonian"
might be a reference to a periodical or an archetypal resident of
Aberdeen. I haven't located any periodicals called "The Aberdonian".
(There was a ship that used that name.)

Garson