Snowpeople

Wed Jan 18 20:24:20 UTC 2012

I have a tendency to forget that Googling in general does not include Google Books.

1. 1843

A memoir of the life and writings of the late William Taylor of Norwich, Robert Southey, Sir Walter Scott (http://ow.ly/8yeIk)

-----
But still such things are more easily produced than ' Madoc': a common magician can make snow-people, but flesh and blood must be the work of a Demiurgos.
-----

2. 1849

Whisperings from life's shore: a bright shell for children, S. W. L. (S. W. Landor) (http://ow.ly/8yfs2)

-----
Do you know the little Snow people?
-----

3. 1850 or 1852

The Snow-Image by Nathaniel Hawthorne has "snow-people." It was written in 1852 according to Wikipedia (http://ow.ly/8yeiS). The citation below (http://ow.ly/8yetc) has a hyphen, but it's at the end of the line. The citation at http://ow.ly/8yezc has the hyphen in the middle of the page, and Google Books claims it's from 1850.

-----
Warm milk will not be wholesome for our little snow-sister. Little snow-people, like her, eat nothing but icicles.
-----

Like the use in the Frosty show and probably Mister Rogers' Neighborhood as below, however, these refer to fanciful snowpeople, not the mundane sort created by mere mortals on snowy days. I will save that for another snowy day (unless someone else is feeling snowily inclined to do so).

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA