Snowpeople

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 18 20:44:58 UTC 2012

That's actually not true, unless Google changed it with their latest
"update". The problem is that for frequently used words or those that
are topheavy on recent hits will have GB hits buried deep in the pile.
On the other hand, many words that went out of circulation or are
associated with particular works often bring up one or several GB hits
on the first page of matches. News are handled a bit differently, as
clusters of news links usually show up on the first page, often among
the top three--or not at all. Other Google products are not so lucky.
Non-Google blogs show up in regular search items, but Google blogs have
their own category. Images rarely, if ever, show up near the top--or at
all, but Google and YouTube videos do appear, although the list is
usually not as extensive as when you do a direct video search. I have
not played with Google Scholar and other items enough to determine these
outcomes--or did play with them, but many iterations of Google ago. Also
note Google's peculiar form of SOPA protest--not in the same league as
Reddit and Wiki, but noticeable if you do a search from the Google home
page. (When you look at the results page, it's too small to be noticeable.)

     VS-)