Snowpeople

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Wed Jan 18 21:43:12 UTC 2012

I was forced to deal with the extra-compositional meaning of "snowman" when I saw an episode of Blue's Clues years ago. At one point, Steve pointed to a clay sculpture consisting of two or three balls stacked with the largest on the bottom, the smallest on top, and a rudimentary face, and called it not a "clay man", but a snowman. Why am I ok with stone lions and paper tigers, but not clay snowmen? The stacked attributive nouns of material are too much for me.

Neal