apologist/apologizer

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 19 18:49:37 UTC 2012

I suspect, most people would have trouble differentiating between
"apology" and "apologia". Some dictionaries are having similar
difficulties. There may be a bit of recency fallacy here as well--the
earliest uses may well relate to "apology" and be synonymous with
"apologist", then it all changed in mid-19th century. The recent wave of
apology-based apologists has been quite independent of the original. I
can't say I really blame them--at least, no more so than I blame people
for learning the reversed negation idioms and never question them.

On the other hand, Bolling is still an idiot and what I said about his
usage still holds.

     VS-)