Query: "Jazbo on upper lip" (1915)

Eric Nielsen ericbarnak at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 19 21:30:13 UTC 2012

I don't ever remember hearing any particular name for that dab of hair
until the last fifteen years or so. It has certainly become
popular now--as a search in Google Images will show. You were in the avant
garde. My first experience with it was with the Maynard G. Krebs
character in the "Dobie Gillis" series I watched as a kid. I guess people
just had to start naming it.

That business about it being an aid to trumpeters is all over the web. I
would have found it on Wikipedia, yesterday, had it not been
for the blackout. The Wikipedia article for "soul patch" did have a
reference to a book on Dizzy Gillespie, but I couldn't check it out  any
further because the copy on Google Books was incomplete. I would assume the
"patch" would be recommended in trumpet books and encouraged in music
schools.

After a Google Images search of Wynton Marsalis, I found he had
a "jazz/soul patch" in the early 80s that was a nice counterpoint to the
moustache he sported,

http://allynscura.blogspot.com/search/label/Wynton%20Marsalis

but later photos show him to be clean shaven. Apparently, a musician of his
high caliber( in both Jazz and Classical music) didn't find it a help for
his technique or he'd still have one.

I never realized this beard style has been around as long as you say,
Wilson.

Eric