Pommes frites

Mon Jan 23 02:27:49 UTC 2012

On Jan 22, 2012, at 3:23 PM, Benjamin Barrett wrote:

> If you travel from "potato chip" to "potato crisp," there is no link to "crisp," but looking "crisp" up yields:
> 7. In full potato crisp. A thin sliver of potato fried until crisp and eaten cold. Usu. in pl. of such food produced commercially.

BTW, potato chips are no longer necessarily fried. The trend away from fats for dietary reasons in the US resulted in even national brands bringing out baked potato chips. Neither the AHD nor Wiktionary have captured this change.

Also, I wonder how appropriate "spec" (specifically) is. Mixed vegetable chips are commonly found in the bulk section of the grocery store, and sweet potato chips and other sorts are found in national grocery store chains as well.

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA