"au jus" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wed Jan 25 16:08:04 UTC 2012

Bill,
It's native for an earlier /zj/ intervocalically as in "vision"--and yes, I know that's a French loan too, but it was taken in with /zj/, as the modern French still shows.  It alternates with more nativized /dZ/ at the end of words in rouge, garage (the last is /gaerIdZ to the Brits).  Initially, though, it's in all foreign loans.

Paul Johnston