gazebo antedated (?) to 1741

Wed Jan 25 18:56:45 UTC 2012

 Stephen Goranson wrote:
> ....Unto the painful summit of this height
> A gay Gazebo does our Steps invite.
> From this, when favour'd with a Cloudless Day,
> We fourteen Counties all around survey.
> Th' increasing prospect tires the wandring Eyes:
> Hills peep o'er Hills, and mix with distant Skies....
>
> An essay on the pleasures and advantages of female literature...and three Poetic Landscapes /
> Wetenhall Wilkes
> 1741
> English Book iv, 5-77 p. ; 21 cm. page 76
> London : Printed for the author, and sold by T. Cooper and R. Caswell,

Nice cite. It looks like a commenter with the handle MMcM at the
Languagehat blog agrees it is an antedating. He or she found it in the
ECCO database and said it was not in GB.

http://www.languagehat.com/archives/003370.php

Now Google Books has it.

http://books.google.com/books?id=HKBbAAAAQAAJ&q=Gazebo#v=snippet&