Fun with phrases

Thu Jan 26 01:05:33 UTC 2012

LH wrote:
> Or as Safire memorably put it (when discussing how you can detect obscenity), "It's not the teat, it's the tumidity".

At Harvard in 1974 they made it half way to that joke.

Date: 1974 December 12
Periodical: The Harvard Crimson
Title: Antiwar Attics: Lysistrata by Aristophanes directed by Sam
Guckenheimer tonight, tomorrow and Saturday at 8:30 p.m. at Dunster
House
Author: Paul K. Rowe
http://www.thecrimson.com/article/1974/12/12/antiwar-attics-pbnbone-of-the-pleasures/

And jokes the cast occasionally added--like one Athenian's wife
disdainful "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn"--hit the spot. When
one of the women asks one of the men if it isn't terribly hot outside,
he answers, "It's not the heat, it's the tumidity." Not every laugh is
as literate as that, but most of them will do.

Garson