eggcorn: saddled -> straddled

Ronald Butters ronbutters at AOL.COM
Sun Jan 29 16:49:49 UTC 2012

I remember this the way Wilson does. But then I never had printed lyrics, only Gene Autry's pedestrian voice and a low-fidelity sound reproduction (AM radio, or maybe a 78 RPM platter with a worn needle). And [ol] and [on] are almost identical, differing only by the nasalization of [n] versus [l], and particularly the position before the stressed first syllable of "saddle," both an [l] and an [n] would be virtually deleted. Semantically, both "old" and "own" make sense.