"awe" phoneme has disappeared

Mon Jan 30 21:20:03 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Michael Newman wrote:

> The answer is minimal pair drills in preschool to 6th grade. This merge
> must be stopped! If not, America might as well end up as the 11th province.  ;)

You laugh, but have you ever watched Nick Jr. for any length of time?
Because of all the Canadian content (Dino Dan, Little Bear, Franklin,
Max & Ruby), you can hear the Canadian Shift an awful lawt. Where's
the legislation to save our kids' vowels from this northern menace?

--bgz

--
Ben Zimmer
http://benzimmer.com/