"your back shall taste of the kurbaj (whip)", 1846, kibosh

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sun Jan 29 19:29:23 UTC 2012

--

The personal 'name' seems to me to be essentially "Kibosh Ibn Humbug", a
joke name wherein "kibosh" might 'mean' either "bosh" ("nonsense") (as

No doubt "kurbaj" meant approximately "whip" (used for punishment). Here
I believe the word is introduced superfluously along with other 'Middle
Eastern' words in jocular imitation of various 'Orientalist' works.

I myself do not [yet] see a presumptive etymological connection between
"kurbaj" and "kibosh".

-- Doug Wilson