"there be dragons" ("jenny hanivers")

Tue Jan 31 19:44:21 UTC 2012

Intriguing topic, Joel. A PDF of The Scientific Monthly article
mentioned is available in JSTOR.

Title: Jenny Hanivers, Dragons and Basilisks in the Old Natural
History Books and in Modern Times
Author: E. W. Gudger
The Scientific Monthly , Vol. 38, No. 6 (Jun., 1934), pp. 511-523
Published by: American Association for the Advancement of Science
Article Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/15490

The article above says Gilbert P. Whitley wrote an article on this
topic and published it in Australian Museum Magazine. A Google Books
preview of the book "Mysterious creatures: a guide to cryptozoology"
(2002) gives the following citation information. I have not checked
this but there is a substantial probability that this is a cite for
the earliest match Joel mentions:

Gilbert P. Whitley, “Jenny Hanivers,” Australian Museum Magazine 3
(1928): 262–264

I came across a fully visible 1963 citation in the Internet Archive
while trying to determine the cites above:

Shadows in the sea: the sharks, skates and rays (1963)
http://www.archive.org/details/shadowsinseashar00mcco
http://www.archive.org/stream/shadowsinseashar00mcco#page/250/mode/2up

[Begin excerpt on Page 251]
The monstrosities were brought home (Europe, the United States) by
sailors who bought them there. Sailors were seldom fishermen in ports
where they could have caught them. Dr. Gilbert P. Whitley, the
Australian ichthyologist, says that this trade has been going on for
hundreds of years. The curios, peddled as Monkey Fish, Dragons,
Basilisks, Mermaids, or Sea Eagles, are sometimes called "Jenny
Hanivers" by seafarers.
[End excerpt]

Garson