whole jingbang antedated to 1838

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Sun Jul 1 15:52:28 UTC 2012

OED has 1866 for Jingbang, the whole number, and a1884 for the whole jingbang.

1838
Blackwood's Magazine, May, 1938 p. 619 col. 2 "Father Tom and the Pope; or a Night at the Vatican." (GB)
Howandiver, when all's done, it's a shame, so it is, that he's not a bishop this blessed day and hour: for, next to the goiant ov Saint Garlath's, he's out and out the cleverest fellow ov the whole jing-bang.

1857
The Laird of Restalrig's Daughter (Edinburgh, 1857) John Harrison. p. 256. (GB)
By the pipes if Brian Boroimhe, but iv ye'd only seen how the whole jing bang iv them ran that time! And thinks I to meself, bedad, that works well anyway; and if ye'd only all stop away a while when yez are away, thinks I, ...

***
Apparently whole jingbang is older than whole shebang.

Stephen goranson
www.duke.edu/~goranson