Past Subjunctive

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Mon Jul 2 22:28:59 UTC 2012

As I noted in an episode I wrote for Grammar Girl, the _Diary of a Wimpy Kid_ series by Jeff Kinney regularly forms past-time counterfactuals with the simple past tense rather than the past perfect. I don't like it, and I too would choose "wish I had been told".

As for the original question, FWIW, I'm going with CGEL's stance of calling the tenses past and past perfect, used with the function of modal remoteness.

Neal