mysteries of rhetorical nuance

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 2 23:01:21 UTC 2012

Considering the Bible Belt context, perhaps the allusion to Palin was
indeed intentional and the question not humorous at all.

Perhaps the effective introduction of the phrase as iconic sarcasm was in
the 1999 movie _Fight Club_. (GB has only two earlier exx. of the phrase,
neither as sarcasm.)

As IMDb has it:

"How's that working out for you?...Being clever."
"Great."
"Keep it up then.... [Gets up from airplane seat.] Now a question of
etiquette; as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?"

Ha ha ha ha ha. How do they come up with quips so deft?  Hollywood brims
with genius.

JL