"tax" or "penalty"?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 3 12:22:31 UTC 2012

Every commentator I've seen on TV (and I watch a hell of a lot),  whether
right or left, pol or journo, expert or otherwise, is passionately hung up
on the question of whether the inidividual mandate is a "tax" or a
"penalty."

What's remarkable is that *nobody* has been able to utter the simple truth
that "It's like a penalty in some ways and like a tax in others."

Is this a political, a journalistic, a semantic, or a brain problem? Or all
of the above?

OK, don't answer that.  But the point is, in media journalism, don't
address the issue if you can address the label instead.

JL