reductionism gone wild

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 4 17:50:39 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 8:36 AM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I should calm down.

But, *could* you? It really pains me to see some ignoramus being able
to make a living better than mine by merely skimming the EB and then
half-assing it. The fact that he's able to do it because other,
supposedly-learned people know even less merely increases the pain.
*I* know better and I have an IQ of only 80.

That these people are entirely sincere, with no intention whatsoever
of confidencing anyone, is the worst aspect of it.

But, in a country in which 100 million speakers are immediately
persuaded that a single instance of a mispronunciation meant as a joke
is the correct pronunciation of a word, what can you do?

 --
-Wilson
-----