Speak (the) truth to power (quasi-precursors)

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Thu Jul 5 12:46:22 UTC 2012

Though the 1950s Friends were unlikely to have read these texts:

[EECO] TITLE:
A free Briton's advice to the free citizens of Dublin. Numb. II.
AUTHOR:
Priscus, Helvidius.
DETAILS:
Dublin, [1748]. 15 pp. page 13

 Strange it is that Men should be found abject enough to tremble at the very Thought
of speaking Truth to Power!

And this (unconfirmed) snippet [British Newspaper Archive]:

Exeter and Plymouth Gazette
Tue 25 Nov 1924 p. 2 article
Devon, England
Correspondence. We do not necessarily endorse the opinions of our correspondents. We cannot enter into any discussion concerning rejected communications
1921 Words [presumably read: prophet]

    “ ophet speaking truth to power over selfishness and sloth, When silence falls such a voice, there ... ?

Stephen Goranson
www.duke.edu/~goranson