Speak (the) truth to power (quasi-precursors)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Jul 5 14:55:49 UTC 2012

At 7/5/2012 08:46 AM, Stephen Goranson wrote:
>Though the 1950s Friends were unlikely to have read these texts:

My guess would be that the 1750s Quakers might have been likely to
read the first ("Free Briton's Advice", 1748) since by its title it
would be stating an opposition to exercise of arbitrary power by the
British government of the time, something colonials of the same
period would be very interested in.  Perhaps the 1950s Quakers
"coining" the expression consulted their archives?

I note that
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_origin_of_the_expression_speak_truth_unto_power
says: "The phrase "to speak truth unto power" has long been
associated with the British Civil Service."  I can imagine it arising
around the late 1740s, during or just after the administration of
Robert Walpole, notorious for appointing yes-men, for rewarding
supporters with government positions.

Joel