Is the ADS list OK?

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 5 22:06:48 UTC 2012

I am not a list manager, so I can't speak from that perspective. But, as
a recipient, I've only had two minor concerns, neither of which is an
indication of a list malfunction. First, there are those two spam
messages tagged as if they are coming from a list member--they likely
did not originate on that person's computer and do not imply that the
list itself was compromised (a spoofed address works as well as the
original subscriber's address in sending messages to the list). It may
be worth blocking that person's messages *to* the list for a while, but
there is no need to remove him from the list. The second issue I've been
having is messages sometimes showing up out of order. This, however,
also has little to do with the list proper. Depending on the local
settings, the time stamp from the sender may differ from the time stamp
generated by the list server, by the recepient's server and by the
receiving computer. So when people respond to messages, their responses
may be to the same message, but it may be tagged differently. For
example, I received a message stamped as 1:08 pm a few days ago which
was a response to a message supposedly sent at 12:46 pm. I did not have
a message stamped as having been sent at 12:46 pm and I could not find
the antecedent. However, when I lined up all the threaded messages, I
did find one at 1:46 pm and that turned out to be the earlier one.
Somewhat arbitrary threading is a known issue with Gmail clients, but
the time-stamp issue depends more on local settings of senders and
recipients. Either way, it's not an issue with the list.

     VS-)