meh! (UNCLASSIFIED)

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 6 19:16:27 UTC 2012

"Feh!" is a classic Yiddish (or, perhaps, universal) interjection,
occasionally extending to a diphthong (also, "fooh!", "fooy!" and
"fooyah!"--although the latter is more Israeli than Yiddish; the other
two also exist in Slavic languages--"meh" and "feh", as such, do not;
"fooh" and "fooy" have multiple uses in Russian). My bare suspicion is
that "meh" follows the same path, although I have neither specific
recollections no sources to place it. There certainly has been a spike
in print and TV use in the last two years, but that does not mean that
it's a recent coinage. There is also a possibly new meaning, implying
something uninteresting, bland, so-so, or suggesting that the speaker
simply doesn't care. So "feh" is not merely stronger--it expresses
nearly the opposite emotion, mostly of revulsion (although, I'm sure,
milder uses exist as well).

     VS-)