Quote: Frank Sinatra denounces rock n roll in 1957

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 14 02:32:56 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 2:47 PM, Garson O'Toole
<adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com> wrote:
> "My only deep sorrow," he said, "is the unrelenting insistence of
> recording and motion picture companies upon purveying the most brutal,
> ugly, degenerate, vicious form of expression it has been my
> displeasure to hear - naturally I refer to the bulk of rock 'n' roll.
>
> "It fosters almost totally negative and destructive reactions in young
> people. It smells phony and false. It is sung, played and written for
> the most part by cretinous goons and by means of its almost imbecilic
> reiterations and sly, lewd - in plain fact dirty - lyrics, and as I
> said before, it manages to be the martial music of every sideburned
> delinquent on the face of the earth.
>
> "This rancid smelling aphrodisiac I deplore. But, in spite of it, the
> contribution of American music to the world could be said to have one
> of the healthiest effects of all our contributions."

Once upon a time, a person with "only" a high-school diploma also had
an education, as Mr. Sinatra's remarks clearly indicate.;-)

--
-Wilson
-----