"feint praise"--eggcorn?

Sat Jul 14 15:18:15 UTC 2012

Arnold Zwicky
> not in ecdb or mentioned in the Eggcorn Forum.
> either no one had come across examples, or people
> (quite reasonably) dismissed it as a simple spelling
> confusion and not anything eggcornish (what semantics
> would _feint_ contribute to the expression?).

Below is text from a webpage discussing confusion between faint and feint:

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/34/messages/1160.html

[Begin excerpt]
Re: Faint/Feint

Posted by David FG on September 19, 2004

: In Fallen's post below he says "Praised with faint damn..." I've
heard of the phrase "feint praise" (though I haven't seen it spelled
out) and I always took it to mean that the praise was faked, hence the
correct word would be "feint". Or, was it supposed to "faint" as in
with only a slight trace?

The original phrase is indeed, 'Damned with faint praise'. It means to
pretend to praise something or someone, but using such modest (slight)
language as to be, in reality, criticising. For example:

'Your latest theory is adequate, Professor Hawking'.

The version 'Praising with faint damns' is a humorous inversion.

DFG
[End excerpt]

Garson