"Monday" as racial slur

Thu Jul 19 17:01:41 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 12:40 PM, Michael Everson wrote:

> Influenced by Robinson Crusoe's man?

None of these speculations seem to have anything to do with it. As I mentioned
in the original post, the only rationale that's given in online sources is that
blacks get called "Mondays" because "everyone hates them." A family member of
the disciplined police officer says he called Carl Crawford "Monday" not
because he's black but because Red Sox fans simply hate *him* as a player.

--bgz

--
Ben Zimmer
http://benzimmer.com/