yeah, no

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jul 20 19:19:19 UTC 2012

On Jul 20, 2012, at 2:04 PM, Charles C Doyle wrote:

> Fred cites the NY Times Magazine for 14 Aug. 1977--"reported in."  I'm not sure what would qualify as a certain attestation for the first occurrence of an oral quip like that!
>
> Charlie

I'm not convinced. (Especially by a NY Times Magazine attribution, since another Times Magazine article attributes the same story to Kripke.)  I note that (even) the wiki entry for Morgenbesser treats this anecdote among their "stories and quotations".  It's suspicious that the attestations different lectures to different audiences in different years--or in a range of years, as in the case of the supposed lecture by J. L. Austin at Columbia "in the 1950s" cited in one of the obituaries for Morgenbesser on his death in 2004 [see fn. 1 in Wiki-entry--as well as the fact that they often involve different speakers. I've also asked a number of philosophers of language who knew Morgenbesser, and at most they say it's the kind of thing he would have said (as his N. Y. Times obit has it, "The episode was classic Morgenbesser: the levity, the lightning quickness, the impatience with formality in both thought and manners, the gift for the knockout punch"), but nobody seems actually to!
  attest to hearing him say it firsthand.  The Independent in that obit puts it this way (*emphasis* added):

Generations of philosophers and linguists have heard the story of the Columbia lecture *in the 1950s* in which the eminent Oxford philosopher J.L. Austin explained how many languages employ the double negative to denote a positive ("he is not unlike his sister"), but that no language employs a double positive to make a negative. Morgenbesser, sitting in the audience, waved his arm dismissively, and retorted: "Yeah, yeah."

I can confirm that generations of philosophers and linguists have heard this story, or variations on it, but it would be nice to find one who actually described hearing it first hand.  I know--picky, picky.

LH