"yeah, yeah" again (another version)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Jul 21 17:03:28 UTC 2012

On Jul 21, 2012, at 12:25 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> Garson O'Toole wrote, quoting from an MIT Press book:
>> the philosopher Sidney Morgenbesser, shout from the back of the room
>> in rich Yiddish: "Yeah, yeah?"
>
> What is the rich Yiddish?  I want to employ it when appropriate, with
> varying intonations as appropriate.

Well, in the possible (but not actual world) in which Chomsky spoke at some (possible but not actual) talk about double negation at Columbia (extremely unlikely), Morgenbesser's putative comeback was, I think, supposed to be in rich Yiddish-inflected English rather than Yiddish, but youneverknow.  I'm not sure what the Yinglish is for "Yeah, yeah"; maybe it just comes out in the inflection and the eyebrows.  Probably similar to the rich Yiddish-inflected Danish that Morgenbesser used when Otto Jespersen was talking about double negation at a public lecture sometime in the 1930s.

LH