"yeah, yeah" again (another versions)

Baker, John JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM
Sun Jul 22 20:35:31 UTC 2012

The anecdote strikes me as inherently implausible.  Given the different nature of affirmations and negations, why would a linguist even think it worth asserting that two positives never make a negative?  And, if he or she did think this a point worth making, isn't it likely that the linguist would have given it a moment's thought and realized that the validity of the point is far from clear?  We don't have to go as far as "yeah, yeah" or "sure, right" to see that; even "yes, yes" can be dismissive at best.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Laurence Horn
Sent: Saturday, July 21, 2012 12:33 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: "yeah, yeah" again (another versions)

Thanks, Garson.  Well, despite the compelling nature of that "is said to have piped up" in the 1977 NYT Mag piece and the claim that someone heard that Morgenbesser confirmed the anecdote (multiple levels of indirection indeed), I still don't see anything more definitive than the Scotch verdict "not proven".  Not much point in going around in circles any more times, I suppose.

LH