"hero" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 25 19:23:06 UTC 2012

The screaming. I forgot that too. Anyway, 90 seconds would be plenty of
time for Batman, with or without Robin.

But it is true that except for a teeny number of creeps who half
accidentally do the right thing, real heroes are almost painfully modest
about their deeds.

The meaning of "hero" has deteriorated considerably over many centuries.
Exx:

Achilles > Roland > George Washington > Robert E. Lee > Sergeant York >
anybody brave >  guys who play movie heroes > celebs who don't even do that
> anybody in the military or on a police force > anybody who has a chance
to screw up royally but somehow doesn't > anybody who gets killed by a
madman.

I simplify, of course. But we do have semantic drift here.

JL