demean = 'to deprecate'

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 27 20:52:13 UTC 2012

2007 Robert Fyne, in _The Columbia Companion to American History on Film_
132: _A Midnight Clear_ (1942) demeans the caste system separating enlisted
men from their officers.

Prof. Fyne is the author of _The Hollywood Propaganda of World War II_
(Metchuchen, N.J.: Scarecrow, 1994).
I've seen the movie and, yes, it deprecates the system.  It does not
"demean" it. It's about teen GIs and teen German soldiers left alone to
throw snowballs and have fun during the Battle of the Bulge, while the
stupid grownups fight over, you know, nothing.

JL