military crest, topographical crest

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 29 12:36:19 UTC 2012

Not in OED. "Topographical crest" is a retronym.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/101-5-1/f545-m.htm:
"military crest   An area on the forward or reverse slope of a hill or
ridge just below the topographical crest from which maximum observation and
direct fire covering the slope down to the base of the hill or ridge can be
obtained."

Diagram in Wikipedia.

1863 Ed. de La Barre du Parcq _Elements of Military Art and History_
(trans. G. W. McCullum) (N.Y.: Van Nostrand) 369: This line has been named
the _military crest_, because it is, in fact, analogous in position to the
exterior crest of a parapet.

1881 Edward S. Farrow _Mountain Scouting: A Handbook for Officers and
Soldiers on the Frontiers_  (Norman, Okla.: U. of Okla. Press, 2000) 240:
Having the heights, he well understands the necessity of talking position
very near the _military crest_.

1899  _Journal of the Military Service Institution of the United States_
 XXV 13: The important detail is a military crest that commands the ground
in front and shelters that in the rear.

1956 S. L. A. Marshall _Pork Chop Hill_ (N. Y.: Morrow) 22: Sometimes the
line followed the military crest. Sometimes it was along the topographical
crest.

2011 Mark Allen _Average People, Extraordinary Trail_ I (unp.) (N.p.:
eBookIt) : The trail through Georgia and North Carolina so far has used the
"military crest" philosophy a lot.

JL