gambling terms, 1734

Tue Jul 31 20:17:00 UTC 2012

>From an essay in two installments against gambling and extravagance in New
York:

     . . . some of this Company were busy, while the Rest were Spectators,
at a large Table covered with blew Cloth, some called it *a Truck Table*,
other *a Billiard-Table*; I know not rightly what it is.

     New-York Weekly Journal, July 8, 1734, p. 2, col. 2 - p. 3, col. 3

     ***  Then they began another Game, which they called *One on and One
off*, and in short Time he was brought in for all the Reckoning, which was
considerably more than 3 *l*.  This Man I am told has a large Family, and
no Dependence but his Work to maintain them.  ***

     New-York Weekly Journal, July 15, 1734, p. 1, col. 1 - p. 2. col. 1

I do not find "Truck Table" or "One on and One off" in the OED.

GAT

--
George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much since then.