teaching awe-dropping

Fri Jun 1 03:03:55 UTC 2012

Tom,
Western PA had the merger at least as early as Canada.  Maybe the parts of Eastern New England that have it too.  Blame the Scots and Northern Irish who settled in the Alleghenys and in Canada.

Paul

P. S.  I've already been ~Paal, when I was working in the Scottish Borders.  But there, the merger isn't COT=CAUGHT.  It's CAT=CAUGHT, so that Paul = pal (and this vowel is roughly where an "awe-dropper's" pronunciation is.  This was quite funny at times, since "pal" is often used as a generic address (although sometimes when someone was about to start a fight with you, as in "See you, pal!  Yir aboot tae git yir heid kicked in!") and I always wondered how they knew my name.  The COT class = COAT if they're speaking broad.