Flushtrated

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Sat Jun 2 03:34:35 UTC 2012

In 2008, Wilson Gray wrote:
_Flustrated_ is "standard" in BE. I doubt that there's any connection with "flustered," a word whose use is rare in colloquial sE and non-occurrent in colloquial BE. I've been familiar with "flustered" for about sixty years and have never had occasion to speak it. -Wilson
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ADS-L;G5Hrow;200807012006230400A

In 2011, the [Str]-for-/str/ realization came up, in a message that I linked to in this blog post: http://literalminded.wordpress.com/2011/09/06/shtraight-talk/

Last night, I heard both in the same word, from an old, audibly black woman who was talking about the difficulties of being unemployed and possibly going on disability. "Sometimes I get flushtrated," she said. It sounded so weird!

 Neal