"a day that [date which] will live in infamy"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 4 20:46:07 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:
> Somewhere, at some time, I was involved in ... discussion of the
> difference between "a day that" and "[December 7, 1941] a date
> which". Â Both of which are grammatically correct, but only one of
> which Roosevelt actually said.

Okay. I got it, now. Thanks, Joel!

(My problem is that I refuse to accept any new - post-1954, the year
that I was graduated from high school [WRT to that phraseology: <har!
har!>] - prescriptive rule. Like, when you know for a fact that a
person claiming that R is a prescriptive "rule of English grammar" had
to have made R up some time after May 8, 1954 - a date which will live
in famy - well, it's just annoying.;-) It'a an insult to the memory of
the likes of Henry Fowler and Wilson Follett.)

--
-Wilson
-----