Despite the Kipling comeback,

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Jun 4 23:27:11 UTC 2012

Are ships good examples of the triumph of the gray squirrel ("lay)
over the red ("lie")?  We have in "lay, v.1", "lay up" "7. To put
away (a ship) in dock or some other place of safety", a specialized
use of "lay".  Perhaps the 1917 quote means only that the steamer was
at the pier.

Better might be utterances like "I am laying on the bed" vs. "I am
lying on the bed."

Joel