invariant "be"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Jun 5 15:32:23 UTC 2012

I suspect Wilson will soon tell us that "Bridewell" would not be in
the vernacular of an African-American woman  in 1818.  (But unlike
Monk I may be wrong.)  I trust that does not also cast doubt on
whether she would also have said "I be"!

In passing, Google News finds the same in The Republican Compiler of
Oct. 14, 1818 -- an unnumbered verso page, col. 5.

The "1829 novel by a New Hampshire woman" puzzles me.  Later than the
newspaper appearances?  Wouldn't it have been more likely that the
newspapers cribbed from a current book?  Does George know the title
or author of this novel, and was there an edition circa 1818?

Joel