statistical jargon

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 5 16:00:37 UTC 2012

While I agree with most of what's been written so far, my initial point
is that there are at least two other uses of "spectral analysis" as a
purely mathematical term that has nothing to do with chemistry,
astronomy or physics (although, obviously, it can be used for those
purposes).

Wiki specifically connects the disambiguation of "Spectral analysis" to
Spectral Theory (Banach spaces, etc., in functional analysis) in
mathematics and to Spectral Density Estimation in statistics. Both are
quite distinct from the "pure physical sciences" meaning of spectrum,
which they define internally.

Here's the statistics entry:

> In statistical signal processing, the goal of spectral density
> estimation is to estimate the spectral density (also known as the
> power spectrum) of a random signal from a sequence of time samples of
> the signal. Intuitively speaking, the spectral density characterizes
> the frequency content of the signal. The purpose of estimating the
> spectral density is to detect any periodicities in the data, by
> observing peaks at the frequencies corresponding to these periodicities.

These are not covered under the OED definition at all. So it's not just
a question of emphasis. In Tukey's case, he was one of the inventors of
spectral analysis in statistics, which is why his name shows up in the
quotation in the OED.

There also appears to be a dispute between the Tukey and the [Phil]
Niquette camps as to who coined the term "software". I suppose, that
would extend for its doppelganger "hardware", although, obviously, the
word itself has existed much longer.

     VS-)