"basket house"

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Thu Jun 7 13:20:47 UTC 2012

On 6/7/12 12:01 AM, Automatic digest processor wrote:
> Date:    Wed, 6 Jun 2012 22:50:17 -0400
> From:    Wilson Gray<hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject: Re: "basket house"
>
> On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Ben Zimmer
> <bgzimmer at babel.ling.upenn.edu>  wrote:
>> >  the odd Briticism "overshoes"
> that's even in BE and, perhaps, other forms of Southern English. But,
> pf course, the headline-writer ought to have used standard_rubbers_.
> Not everyone is familiar with regional and other non-standard terms:
>
> _Trying the Economic Rubbers on Different Feet_
As always, I'm a "me-too": both American parents -- one from each coast
-- called 'em "overshoes" and I still have a pair of overshoes. Doesn't
strike me as a Britishism, and 'tain't labeled as such in MWC11.
"Galoshes" isn't labeled either (which is the older term,
interestingly). Now that I think of it, I think my mother (Bostonian)
favored "galoshes" over "overshoes." She would use "overshoes" when I
gave her a funny look about "galoshes."

---Amy West