"foiemageddon", WOTY for the lily-livered set

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jun 7 18:55:34 UTC 2012

On Jun 7, 2012, at 12:41 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> I'll vote for it!  But how do these non-rhotic
> Californians pronounce "foie" to make it a
> minimal pair with "Ar" (pronounced I presume
> "ah")?  "Fwa" (as I pronounce "foie") or "fa" (or both?) vs. "ah"?
>
> For me, "fwa" is not "fa".  Are there minimal pairs for these two?
>
> Thanks,
> Joel

Good point, Joel.  I guess I must have been thinking of /fw/ as a phoneme, contrasting minimally with zero.  Anyway, the contrast is *more* minimal for those (possibly non-existent) Californians who happen to be non-rhotic (or can't pronounce their /r/s because of the foie gras stuck on the roof of their mouth).

LH