galoshes and rubbers and overshoes, oh my

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 8 04:17:38 UTC 2012

Has anyone bothers with the OED? Rubbers and pantofles are both defined
as "overshoes or galoshes", literally.

Pantofle

> ... also applied to outdoor overshoes or galoshes. ...

Since this one is quite old (at least the 15th century) and the part
before also and after the period mostly applied to slippers, it's not
entirely clear when this word was used for "overshoes or galoshes".
Furthermore, the etymology stops with Middle French, although I suspect
some Arabic and/or Turkic influence (of course, I see Middle Eastern or
just plain Eastern influence in a lot of things, so I could just be wrong).

Rubber, n.1

> 14. a. In /pl./
> (a) orig. /U.S./ Overshoes or galoshes made of rubber.

This one is from 1834. Note "US".

Galosh/golosh n.

> 1. b. In later use: An over-shoe (now usually made of india-rubber)
> worn to protect the ordinary shoe from wet or dirt. ‘Rare in U.S.’ (
> /Cent. Dict./).

This one from 1373 (thanks to Fowler). And it exhibits something very
much related to "rubbers"-- "Rare in U.S.". If one is "orig. U.S." and
the other "rare in U.S.", then it stands to reason that they really do
represent the same thing. It really doesn't matter if neither regional
restriction applies any longer ("galoshes" seems to have been popular in
US fiction and in film at least since the 1930s). There is also a
Russian equivalent ("galoshi", if Wilson wants to know), that applies
strictly to rubber overshoes that are worn over felt winter boots
("valenki"). Specifically, they are no more than ankle height--kind of
like the rubberized yellow or black soles (loosely speaking) bonded on
many winter boot models in the US these days--it seems you can't go into
a discount store (or even a fashionable store sometimes) these days
without seeing a pair. What's above the rubberized part depends on the
particular model--it could be high or low-quality leather, canvas
(sometimes rubberized), vinyl or just about any other material that shoe
uppers can be made from.

Oddly enough, "Dutch galoshes" appears to have a single citation from
a1687 and then is listed as obsolete. Sounds like lazy editing.

In any case, the distinction between rubbers and galoshes, as far as the
height is concerned, seems to be a late and artificial addition and even
then likely limited as it may appear this way to some and not to
others--could be a classic Labov distribution.

VS-)